JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+9
Kwisatz Haderach
nightscape94
Spirit of King Mark
Ching Chong Ding Dong
Stefan's Ghoest
Lucas, prepare to die!
Upended Quint
crocodile's skeleton
Sideways Koray
13 posters

What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Sideways Koray
    Sideways Koray
    Admin

What Is The Last Film You Watched? Empty What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Post  Sideways Koray Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 am

crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

What Is The Last Film You Watched? Empty Re: What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Post  crocodile's skeleton Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Cowboys & Aliens

It's not terrible and I don't mind genre merging. But... the script has some really awkward elements in it (like the female lead, for example). And it is also awfully cliched western. Generally it was well acted and shot and generally prefer this kind of thing to many blocbusters. And I liked that the film wasn't heavily scored. That's about it. I know, doesn't say much.

Karol
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Is it as dull as they say, or is there actually some fun to be had? It looks awfully serious, which is ridiculous really when you consider the pitch.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Let me put it this way: Harrison Ford plays Harrison Ford, Craig plays Craig, Western genre is the same Western genre you've always known. And aliens do pretty much what they always do. There are few laughs. It's exactly what you see in the trailer.

And the score is mostly orchetral, but more like Beltrami's 3:10 To Yuma. But, of course, with some alien vocals.

It's not a clever twist on either genre.

The audience didn't seem to connect with it, to be honest. The best praise I heard was something like this: "It is not nearly as terrible as I thought it would be". Which is hradly a praise.

I think I'll go and see Apes today. Apparently it is good.

Karol
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

its the title, too corny. I'm sure that alone makes people think twice.

I'll watch it anyway Smile

I'm going this week to watch apes and super 8, i hope i like them.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 pm

It won't be terrible. I like the fact there is no obnoxious camera moves and they actually have a lot of unscored scenes, especially in the first half. This alone makes it more worthwhile than, say, Transformers. Craig and Ford are going through the motions, but, as you can imagine, they add certain charm to the film. Even if the script itself is...well... rubbish.

I'm watching a lot of movies in cinema these days. Which is strange, for my financial situation is wobbly at best. But I realized I saw like ten films in the past 2 months. That's not too bad actually.

Karol
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:44 am

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (not sure which words should I capitalize, so I've done it to all of them, which makes it more epic, I guess)

What a terrible, terrible title this is. It pretty made me skip the film, but then I read some rather flattering opinions and went to see it. The original Ceasar: Rise of the Apes would be just fine. But no, marketing people know better.

To my amazement, it is actually quite good. There is a story. Not an original one or even an amazing one. But there is one. And, for all the spectacle, the film feels more like a piece of drama rather than a apocalyptic blockbuster. Slow film. In fact, I could hear people behind me jiggling and breathing heavily. Though that could have been for a different reason entirely (I wouldn't dare to turn around and find out myself). Anyway, the film takes its time. And it's a good thing, for this kind of a story needs some development, especially the Ceasar's character. The film actually builds to something, which is a rare thing these days.

One thing that surprised me is that it isn't exactly a film I was expecting. I feared of seeing
    Spoiler:
    Which I am thankful for, because that would require a great deal of suspension of disbelief. And also
    Spoiler:

Special effects look really good, in a sense I wasn't really thinking of these apes as CGI animation. That alone sells the picture. Didn't notice the score much, apart from few moments.

So, in the end, if there is one genuinely entertaining and invloving blockbuster this summer then it would be this one. Not to be watched and rewatched in years to come, but worth one visit to a multiplex.

Karol
    Sideways Koray
    Sideways Koray
    Admin

Post  Sideways Koray Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:48 am

I think the title is perfect. Fits right in with the rest of the franchise.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:50 am

That's the problem, isn't? The film itself doesn't feel like a part of that franchise.

Karol
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 am

crocodile wrote:Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (not sure which words should I capitalize, so I've done it to all of them, which makes it more epic, I guess)

What a terrible, terrible title this is. It pretty made me skip the film, but then I read some rather flattering opinions and went to see it. The original Ceasar: Rise of the Apes would be just fine. But no, marketing people know better.

To my amazement, it is actually quite good. There is a story. Not an original one or even an amazing one. But there is one. And, for all the spectacle, the film feels more like a piece of drama rather than a apocalyptic blockbuster. Slow film. In fact, I could hear people behind me jiggling and breathing heavily. Though that could have been for a different reason entirely (I wouldn't dare to turn around and find out myself). Anyway, the film takes its time. And it's a good thing, for this kind of a story needs some development, especially the Ceasar's character. The film actually builds to something, which is a rare thing these days.

One thing that surprised me is that it isn't exactly a film I was expecting. I feared of seeing
    Spoiler:
    Which I am thankful for, because that would require a great deal of suspension of disbelief. And also
    Spoiler:

Special effects look really good, in a sense I wasn't really thinking of these apes as CGI animation. That alone sells the picture. Didn't notice the score much, apart from few moments.

So, in the end, if there is one genuinely entertaining and invloving blockbuster this summer then it would be this one. Not to be watched and rewatched in years to come, but worth one visit to a multiplex.

Karol
    Reading what Joey had to say on it and now this makes me want to see it just out of sheer curiosity. I still can't imagine how I'll get past the awful cgi of the trailers but still, I'll check it out on Blu.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 am

Believe me, I wasn't really excited by the trailers. Make no mistake about it, it is exactly the film they advertise. But somehow they don't do it justice at all. I suppose that has to do with the fact that its strength has nothing to do with spectacle. There is action, but it more grows out of the story.

And the CGI looks fine to me. Bizzarely I wasn't crazy about it when watching previews.

Karol

Last edited by crocodile on Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 am

And now I feel like I really ought to catch it at the cinema.

Lee - who's had a drink and is feeling kinda fuzzy and warm - glad to be "back", in a fashion! This place really does feel rather homely.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:57 am

Drink? good idea. I have a lot I need to finish of before Thursday.

The Godfather.

The blu-ray looks good, a bit grainy though and at one moment 9the hospital scene) there appeared to be some damage.

Still a fantastic, timeless film.
    The first time I saw it I was overwhelm by the awesomeness of Brando, but now it's just impossible to take my eyes of what Pacino is doing (this is the pre-Tony Montany Pacino, the one that did not scream so much).

It's pretty much perfect. I love the way we are slowly introduced to the characters and their culture though a wedding party. The pacing of the film is beautifully slow. At several points in the film we are treated with a minute or so of a car driving somewhere, a plane arriving etc... You don't see deliberate pacing like that so much anymore.

The direction feels confident, the production might have been fraught with confrontations between Copolla and the studio, but he definitely knows what he's doing. I can't imagine anyone else doing this film.

The violence, now tame by today's standards still holds an impact, especially the scene in the restaurant. Were Copolla and Puzo create brilliant tension by first telling us exactly what Michael needs to do, and then we see him not doing that.

The music is also perfect, it's rather unlike a Hollywood score. It's very sparse throughout the film, and some seem to think it's a bit simplistic, but Nino Rota's mix of melancholy and doom are as important to this film as the Jaws score was to that movie.

Simply one of the best films ever made.

**** out of ****

crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 am

This is Pacino's single best role and the reason his most recent ones don't convince me: they are for the most part completely over-acted. Michael Corleone is an excercise in understatement which, I think, is the basis of the best kind of acting.

Also, I like Nino Rota's main Godfather theme more than the overrated love theme.

Karol
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:14 am

You can already see some of the methods and gestures Pacino would abuse later in his career, but here they are subdued.

I've always thought of the "love Theme" as a theme for Sicily.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 am

Yeah, that's probably true. But it's always called love theme (or is it just me?) on all these dreadfully arranged song compilation for few quid.

Karol
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:21 am

Yes, but in this film, and the 2 sequels it only plays in Sicily. The Love Theme label was for marketing reasons I guess.
    Ching Chong Ding Dong

Post  Ching Chong Ding Dong Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Striptease
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:55 am

Super 8. I liked it. the music was good too Smile

Spoiler:

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:38 am

Final Destination Five was a terrific B film. One that open discussion should not be allowed. It has a great GREAT ending. Upended Quint should take me to see Shark Nite this weekend.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 am

Okay now I KNOW it's you, ya big daft sod!

Ahhh, it really does feel like home now.

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 am

Upended Quint wrote:Okay now I KNOW it's you, ya big daft sod!

Ahhh, it really does feel like home now.

so is it a date? Dave doesn't want to see it.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:35 am

Not tonight; I'm washing my hair.

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 am

Upended Quint wrote:Not tonight; I'm washing my hair.

oooooh girlllll you in luck, you know us homos we're all born with the stylist gene. afro
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 am

Which is a limited edition in itself.

Karol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 am