JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+7
Trent B's Ghost
indy v4.2
crocodile's skeleton
Faleel's Essence
Spirit of King Mark
Jacob
Sideways Koray
11 posters

What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

Sideways Koray
    Sideways Koray
    Admin

What Is The Last Score You Listened To? Empty What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

Post  Sideways Koray Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 am

Jacob

What Is The Last Score You Listened To? Empty Re: What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

Post  Jacob Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Gladiator

Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

What Is The Last Score You Listened To? Empty Re: What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

Post  Spirit of King Mark Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 am

we gotta get his pl;ace going now

I saw Rise of the Planets of the Apes (oops wrong thread)
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 am

Star Trek III: The Searck for Spock - James Horner

IMHO the best of Horner's Trek scores.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:26 am

Black Sunday by John Williams

After all this speculation what's happening with the actual site, I thought this is a perfect suspense music to underscore this epic struggle hidden from our eyes. I can imagine Jason typing e-mails to Jack with The Explosion playing in the background (and adjusting to the rhythm, of course). Wink

Anyway, I am a big fan of this score now, especially of Commando Raid (track 3). I love how it builds and builds and yet never explodes. That is saved for the final action cues. Great work from the maestro, this is!

Karol
    indy v4.2

Post  indy v4.2 Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:59 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...it's great! I love Desplat's use of flutes. Overall it's just a gorgeous score.
    Trent B's Ghost
    Trent B's Ghost

Post  Trent B's Ghost Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Faleel's Essence wrote:Star Trek III: The Searck for Spock - James Horner

IMHO the best of Horner's Trek scores.

Seriously? Star Trek II out-beats Star Trek III by a long shot and I know I'm not the only one who shares this sentiment.

The last score I listened to was Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (LLL) and Batman (LLL).
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Does it? I don't know WOK is certainly more easily enjoyable. Bright fanfares, busy action music. SFS is, on the other hand, more nuanced and detailed.

But, to be perfectly honest, I always listen to them back to back. They're one long score to me.

Karol
    Zombie Charlie Brigden
    Zombie Charlie Brigden

Post  Zombie Charlie Brigden Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:52 am

I used to hate SFS, but I have grown to love it. Sure, it doesn't have as many exciting highs as TWOK, but it's a lot moodier and ambient, making the highs stand out more.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff on shuffle, but I grabbed a Miami Vice LP from a charity shop recently so have been playing some Jan Hammer grooves a bit.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:21 am

I actually love what Horner does with Spock/Vulcan material. Slightly ethnic, but not irritatingly so as with some of his latter works.

Karol
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:04 am

It's very well done. Etnic, slightly ethereal, but not overbearing. With a nod to Goldsmith's original Vulcan music
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:23 am

Trent B's Ghost wrote: Seriously? Star Trek II out-beats Star Trek III by a long shot and I know I'm not the only one who shares this sentiment.

The last score I listened to was Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (LLL) and Batman (LLL).

Seriously.

I just find the non-action/quiet material in ST:III better and more memorable than in Star Trek II, for example, Spock's motif is much more noticable in III, plus ST:III has Stealing the Enterprise and the "Kirk theme" at 6:51.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:38 am

Some of Giacchino's Lost and Super 8 (which I listen to quite a bit).

Poltergeist. It would have been probably a perfect score, if not for the ST: TMP borrowed material. Not that this is a major gripe. I'm still need to hear the FSM version.

Kingdom of the Crustal Skull. I can't help but enjoy the score very much. It's probably not good enough (for a couple of reasons), but I like it still.

Now listening to La-La Land's Batman Returns (which, of course, I absolutely love). This score needed this release badly. It's funny how some material bleeds into Nightmare Before Christmas.

Karol - who thinks it's time to buy First Knight.
    nightscape94
    nightscape94

Post  nightscape94 Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:35 am

Seven Years in Tibet, Williams. A infrequently discussed score, but a very good one. Perhaps a bit repetitive with the thematic material (like Angela's Ashes) but still a great work. "Regaining a Son" is one of my favorites pieces by Williams, and I was thrilled when he expanded it into the concert work "Elegy" which is beautiful.

Tim
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 pm

It is indeed a great score. Both a drama and an epic.

Batman: The Animated Series
    . What a cool album. My favourite material from the series is mostly not on the album (Clayface episode, The Cat and The Claw and some others), but this is such a pleasant album anyway. Some of the best scoring in weekly television. Period. Still hoping for Vol. 2.

Thanks again, Trent!

Now then where is Batman Forever? It's supposed to be October, right?

BTW it's funny how I was waiting entire years for all these Batman releases and now they crop out one after the other.

Karol
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 am

Taras Bulba and The Fellowship of the Ring - Complete Recordings.

Karol
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:14 am

The Thing by Ennio Morricone. I'd say it is his best film work (my personal favourite anyway). It both evokes the cold setting, the desolation, dread and stillness. I also like the non-orchestral Carpenter-like stuff. Brilliant.

Karol
    Trent B's Ghost
    Trent B's Ghost

Post  Trent B's Ghost Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:29 am

Back To The Future Part 2 and Fantastic 4: Rise Of The Silver Surfer complete scores. Now currently listening to the complete score for TMNT.
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 am

I was just listening to the complete score rip to the "The Hobbit" video game.

pretty good, though I still need to arrange it into a decent listening experience.
    indy v4.2

Post  indy v4.2 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 am

Candide (1989 LSO version):

Before ordering this, I was only familiar with the overture and Bernstein's instrumental suite. It was cool to finally put words to the music, and to hear some brand new stuff. "Best of All Possible Worlds," "What's the Use," "Auto-da-fey," "Westphalia Chorale," and "Make Our Garden Grow" are my favorites. I had no idea that the tune that opens "Make Our Garden Grow" was a whole seperate song. I love how much Bernstein milks the ending - it isn't nearly that dramatic in the suite, at least not on the recording I have. Sometimes that operatic songs are a little hard for me to handle - I'm not used to the style and I can't always understand the lyrics. But overall it was a fun and interesting listen. West Side Story is easily better, but this is good too. I need to hear Bernstein's other Broadway stuff.
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 am

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Complete Demos.
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 am

Faleel's Essence wrote:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Complete Demos.

Is it any good?
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:07 am

Michael wrote:
    Faleel's Essence wrote:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Complete Demos.

Is it any good?

To be honest, I only listened to one track.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:53 am

Titus by Elliot Goldenthal. Got it today. I've been familiar with it for years, but now I've got my own copy. Sadly it seems to be out of print. Anyway, it is one of my favourite Goldenthal works. This film (which is excellent in itself) is perfectly tailored to his sensibilities.

Jane Eyre by Dario Marianelli. Another one I bought today (actually blind-bought). Pity he only seems to score costume dramas these days, for blockbusters could benefit from his talent. This is his probably subtlest work, drowned in fog. But very well done. Not exactly a Williams or Herrmann in terms of approach but just as valid. Beautifully constructed work, but it takes time to appreciate.

Karol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:38 pm