JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+9
Zombie Charlie Brigden
crocodile's skeleton
The Black Rabbit of Inlè
Spirit of King Mark
Thor
Upended Quint
Lucas, prepare to die!
Stefan's Ghoest
Ricard
13 posters

NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials

Ricard

NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials Empty NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials

Post  Ricard Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:59 pm

LAWRENCE, KS

"A Concert For America" is a purposeful, hour-long free chamber music concert that offers listeners a chance to reflect on what the country lost that tragic day 10 years ago

Internationally-acclaimed musicians will play music written by Mozart, Brahms and famed American composer John Williams. Music by John Williams was selected to celebrate American contemporary music while the music by Mozart and Brahms expresses hope for the future, Kelley said. - Click here for mode details

Concert For America, 2 p.m. at the Lawrence Public Library. Features Roxana Bajdechi and Markus Placci, piano and violin, and the music of Arvo Part, John Williams, Mozart and Brahms. Free. 978-620-3600, 978-683-8222.

Source

OREGON, IL:

A memorial concert to remember 9/11 will be performed at the Oregon Church of God.

The Oregon High School Band, Choir, and more than 40 community members will perform during the concert.

The concert will begin at 7 p.m. at the Oregon Church of God, 860 W. Oregon Trail Rd.

A variety of patriotic music and tribute pieces will be performed.

The high school band will be performing "Hymn to the Fallen" by John Williams and "Danny Boy," a piece performed during funerals for many of the first responders killed on 9/11.

Source

MERCER COUNTY, NJ

In Mercer County, Symphony in C of Rutgers University-Camden will join Mayor John F. Bencivengo and representatives of Hamilton Township and the Hamilton Township Fire Chiefs Association for a ceremony in Veterans Park, which will include the dedication of a memorial comprising a steel beam from the World Trade Center. Police, firefighters and emergency management personnel will join in the event at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow.

Music will play an indispensable role, with the symphony opening the program with a concert of reflective works, including Samuel Barber’s “Adagio for Strings,” which has become America’s unofficial emblem of mourning. It has been played over the radio at the announcement of the death of presidents.

The Veterans Park ceremony will also include a special video presentation, documenting the journey from 9/11/2001 to the present. Symphony in C will provide orchestral accompaniment.

The program will conclude with stirring, popular favorites by John Williams and John Phillip Sousa.

Source
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials Empty Re: NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Hynm For The Fallen is perfect for this.
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials Empty Re: NEWS: Williams Music to be Performed at 9/11 Memorials

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:21 pm

listening it there in that context is sure to be teary eyed.

Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I hope there's time for 1941 encore.
    Thor

Post  Thor Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Nice! He really is an American musical institution all on his own.
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:54 am

If there was a perfect piece of music for this ,it would be Anakin's Betrayal
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:46 am

You can't play Star Wars music at a serious memorial event.
    The Black Rabbit of Inlè

Post  The Black Rabbit of Inlè Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 am

I don't think film music should be performed at this event at all. A serious occasion demands serious music.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 am

So film music, by definition is not serious?
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 am

Actually, opera (a widely respected and serious music form) is generally even more phony and pretentious than movie blockbusters. At least, if you have a closer look at most plots and such.

Karol
    Ricard

Post  Ricard Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:00 am

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:So film music, by definition is not serious?
    I see you still don't know who "The Black Rabbit of Inlè" is Wink
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 am

Enlighten me?
    Zombie Charlie Brigden
    Zombie Charlie Brigden

Post  Zombie Charlie Brigden Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:32 am

They should play THE LAST CASTLE. Or 'Peace In Our Life'.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:43 am

Ricard wrote:
    Stefan's Ghoest wrote:So film music, by definition is not serious?
    I see you still don't know who "The Black Rabbit of Inlè" is Wink

How could I not have noticed.

Hi Alan!

Post  Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 am

The Black Rabbit of Inlè wrote:I don't think film music should be performed at this event at all. A serious occasion demands serious music.

I wouldn't go that far. If it's serious film music, it is permissible.

I will be performing in a group tomorrow at the Flight 93 crash site, and we very well may play an arrangement of Randy Edelman's Gettysburg (no, we don't have synthesizers in our band). The parallel is that both tracts of land became Pennsylvania battlefields. That piece will not, of course, be the centerpiece of our performance. That honor falls to James Swearingen's "Flight of Valor," a piece dedicated to the heroes of Flight 93. There is no better place to honor that day than in the place that inspired it.
    St. Elmo
    St. Elmo

Post  St. Elmo Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 am

Was it that adequate, though? "Hymn to the Fallen" has a distinctly militaristic sound because it was written for the soldiers that died at war. Last Sunday was all about the death of civilians. I, personally, would have preferred that that difference had been observed.

I'm nitpicking here. The occasion revolved precisely about people coming together, not underlining their differences - being offended by this small nuance would be counter-intuitive. But I just couldn't let it pass without mentioning it.

Post  Guest Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:28 am

I would argue that the 40 men and women who died on Flight 93 became soldiers the moment they realized the terrorists' plan and offered resistance. No, they did not spend years of basic training to get fit and serve active duty. But their country needed them at that moment to prevent further devastation at the Capitol or White House.

Even if the plane really was shot down by our own military to prevent a fourth manned missile strike, without knowledge that passengers could commandeer and land a jumbo jet, for that brief moment, those passengers were soldiers.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm sorry that is the sort of nonsense we have had far too much of this last decade.

Soldiers? Soldiers fight for their country, willingly and with full knowledge that they are going into war. The people of 93 were trying to survive a situation they were unwillingly thrust in.

AI
    AI

Post  AI Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:50 pm

And there's a BIG difference!
    Thor

Post  Thor Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:16 pm

St. Elmo wrote:Was it that adequate, though? "Hymn to the Fallen" has a distinctly militaristic sound because it was written for the soldiers that died at war. Last Sunday was all about the death of civilians. I, personally, would have preferred that that difference had been observed.

I'm nitpicking here. The occasion revolved precisely about people coming together, not underlining their differences - being offended by this small nuance would be counter-intuitive. But I just couldn't let it pass without mentioning it.

Agreed, good point. When we had the horrible massacre in Norway 22/7, the focus in the aftermath was on the victims and affected themselves -- on solidarity and compassion -- not a militaristic call to arms, blood thirst or anger, since that was the terrorist's goal. Then he would have won. If you're going to use music for such remembrance events, I -- personally -- think it's more tasteful to go for something with less militaristic associations. Then again, you could argue that Williams' piece in itself works as a 'hymn to the victims' too, even though it's associated with SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.
    Dead Ringer of Prometheus

Post  Dead Ringer of Prometheus Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Personally, I think "Arlington" from JFK would be more fitting.

Kwisatz Haderach
    Kwisatz Haderach

Post  Kwisatz Haderach Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Thor

Post  Thor Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 am

That Ives piece was used wonderfully in THE THIN RED LINE.

Post  Dead Ringer of Prometheus Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 am

crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 am

Why not this? Seems fitting...

Karol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:38 pm