JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

3 posters

Feinstein vs Streisand

drlalo

Feinstein vs Streisand Empty Feinstein vs Streisand

Post  drlalo Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Alan & Marilyn Bergman wrote The Same Hello, The Same Goodbye for Frank Sinatra, a song so deep that he never accomplished to record; in fact, the reaction of Frank when he read it was: how do you know me so well? The Bergmans asked John Williams to musicalize this song, but it was not until 2008 that Michael Feinstein recorded a version of this song that was part of The Sinatra Project under the Concord label. When I heard this version, it was ok for me, but when Barbra Streisand (and I'm not a Streisand fan) recorded a new version of this, with the music conducted by Williams (as you know he was on the studio next door recording music for a Spielberg film, and Steven came into the studio where the Bergmans and Streisand were, he told them John was with him, and next he came to conduct the orchestra) I really liked it. She gives an outstanding performance of the song.
    So, which version you like most?
    Thor

Feinstein vs Streisand Empty Re: Feinstein vs Streisand

Post  Thor Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:07 am

I never much cared for Barbra's whiney voice, so Michael Feinstein all the way! Besides, it's a CROONER song, only captured in that style by a male singer.

So no competition for me.
    Miguel Andrade

Post  Miguel Andrade Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 am

I do prefer the Feinstein performance. Streisand's get a bit over the top toward the end.
    But I need to correct you, since Williams DID NOT conduct the Streisand recording. He was in fact in the studio next door, and attended the performance, but the whole disc was conducted by Bill Ross.
    As an additional curiosity, Williams was asked on the spot to check the sheet music and corrected a mistake in there, but again, he conducted nothing.
    drlalo

Post  drlalo Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:35 am

Thanks for clarifying the situation on the conduction Miguel.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:29 pm