JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+8
Sideways Koray
Shade Cauliflower
Jeff
Upended Quint
crocodile's skeleton
Nemesis
Ching Chong Ding Dong
Stefan's Ghoest
12 posters

How many people of JWFAN do you know?

Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

How many people of JWFAN do you know? Empty How many people of JWFAN do you know?

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 am

Not personally from meeting them, but know from their posts.

We have a lot of regulars, most have been posting for years. With some of them you develop a sort of relationship, while with others you will know the name above their messages, but little more, even though you may have read dozens, or hundreds of posts from them.

For instance Mark Olivarez had been posting for years and years before I really noticed him. And I can't say the name Jason LeBlanc rang many bells until he became mod. Only noticed John Crichton when ran for president. Neimodian I started to notice only after I knew he was going to Ubeda. Yet these are passionate, insightful people that I somehow missed.
    Maybe that was the problem.
    I noticed guys like Indy4 and Koray straight away because they were rather irritating Media Ventures fans who spend their first year on the MB stating Zimmer is as much an artist as John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith (May He Rest In Peace).

Maybe the meek shall inherit the earth after all....
    Ching Chong Ding Dong

How many people of JWFAN do you know? Empty Re: How many people of JWFAN do you know?

Post  Ching Chong Ding Dong Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Know in the biblical sense?
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

How many people of JWFAN do you know? Empty Re: How many people of JWFAN do you know?

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:29 pm

James, is that you?
    Nemesis
    Nemesis

Post  Nemesis Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm not sure anymore how long I'm already registered at JWFanNet but it's a long time ~2001.
    I would like to post more but it's a matter of having the time and that I don't speak very well english.
    Often I want to write something but don't know how to really point it out in english.
    Well, there are quite a few members I can recall since I started at JFFN: Miguel, Stefan, Jamesboy, Mark Olivarez and there are some newer members who post so much that you can't drive through without seeing them.
    It's fun and also very special that there is a place where I can go since over 10 years now. It's almost a feeling of beeing "home". That's why I can't be for longer at FSM.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:31 am

Who are you again?

Karol - who, most of the time, remembers the people talking to (to annoyance of some)
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:59 am

I'd say about five or six people I feel I know pretty well, in terms of how they post and what they like etc. I skim read normally - my eyes scan quickly for interesting titbits and I'll read anything by anyone if it interests me, but I tend to actually stop and read thoroughly most of the contributions made by the "lucky few", as I egotistically call them.

There's a lot of nice guys on JWFan, but if there's no personality and vibe in their writing then I'm unlikely to pay much attention to what they might have to say. That's just the way it goes I suppose.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:22 am

Didn't notice you until you began to behave like a tosser, so you have a point.

crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:29 am

This is actually an interesting thread, this (whether intentionally so or not). Because it touches on what seems to be a phenomenon of internet and how it represents (or misprepresents) people. It almost works as showbiz. You have your celebrities who tend to steal the show. Whether they actually have someting substantial to add is another matter entirely. Sometimes I have the feeling I should behave or post in a certain way to "entertain" other people. Which is not something I'm very comfortable with. Same in real life. I try not to treat others as a fodder for my own bored ego. And yes, I know we all sometimes treat our lives as a movie sometimes. The only reason I'm on this forum (well, the other one) is because there are lots of people from around the world who happen to share the same intersts. If I get to know them better - great! But I'll probably never know if that's just an illusion or not. I can predict some people's response and I generally know who likes what. But does that count as "knowing someone"? I don't know about that. Overall, internet is not exactly a substitute for social life for me. It's quite lame place for that, if you really think about it.

What I do know is that people tell me I feel like a different person when they meet me online. I'm not sure why.

Karol
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:31 am

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:Didn't notice you until you began to behave like a tosser, so you have a point.

Funny, I've never been called a tosser by divvy eikel before.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:35 am

Eikel? That's Dutch for acorn. Or the knob of ones penis...
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 am

crocodile wrote:Sometimes I have the feeling I should behave or post in a certain way to "entertain" other people. Which is not something I'm very comfortable with.

Karol
    And rightly so. Be yourself, or be revealed as a phony. I don't think your celebrity analogy is airtight because phony celebs with lots to say but little worth listening to are as phony (to everyone) as they come. Here, I think writing style and wit goes a heck of a long way. It also helps if every now and then you say something genuinely interesting to people, make a post which reminds people why they take notice of you in the first place.

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:Eikel? That's Dutch for acorn. Or the knob of ones penis...
    I know Wink
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 am

Upended Quint wrote:
    crocodile wrote:Sometimes I have the feeling I should behave or post in a certain way to "entertain" other people. Which is not something I'm very comfortable with.

Karol
    And rightly so. Be yourself, or be revealed as a phony. I don't think your celebrity analogy is airtight because phony celebs with lots to say but little worth listening to are as phony (to everyone) as they come. Here, I think writing style and wit goes a heck of a long way. It also helps if every now and then you say something genuinely interesting to people, make a post which reminds people why they take notice of you in the first place.

It might simply come from the fact I was never the kind of person who liked attention (in a broad sense) and generally feels rather uncomfortable next to a very extoverted individuals. But that's my problem, I guess.

Karol
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 am

Upended Quint wrote:
    I know Wink

So why you are calling me an acorn?
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:51 am

Look inside your kecks and all will be revealed.

crocodile's skeleton wrote:
    Upended Quint wrote:

Karol

It might simply come from the fact I was never the kind of person who liked attention (in a broad sense) and generally feels rather uncomfortable next to a very extoverted individuals. But that's my problem, I guess.

Karol
    No that's a fair point I think. In my circle of friends and family I am pretty much the leader (read: loudmouth) of all social events etc. I'm perfectly comfortable and happy to be at the centre of all fun and silliness in those situations (I am 100% extrovert, but I've learned to calm it nowadays) and the last time I had such a time was on Sunday just gone at my daughter's christening. A nice day and an absolutely hilarious reception, at least at our table! Truthfully, my persona on here is genuine and were it not highly unlikely I'd meet you guys just so you could see for yourselves. I'd probably annoy you though, Croc. Anyway Karol, I don't think theres anything wrong with your posting style and online personality; if you bored me I wouldn't be replying to you now. Nah, you've usually got something worthwhile to say.

Last edited by Upended Quint on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
    Jeff
    Jeff

Post  Jeff Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 am

After lurking at FSM, Facebook, and here for the last couple of weeks, this is my first post since the main site went down. I really don't like the FSM format AT ALL and Facebook is too public (I like a bit of anonymity). This format is acceptable until our regular site gets back online.

I doubt anyone noticed I was gone, but I'm glad I can get my JWFan fix now.

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 am

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:Not personally from meeting them, but know from their posts.

We have a lot of regulars, most have been posting for years. With some of them you develop a sort of relationship, while with others you will know the name above their messages, but little more, even though you may have read dozens, or hundreds of posts from them.

For instance Mark Olivarez had been posting for years and years before I really noticed him. And I can't say the name Jason LeBlanc rang many bells until he became mod. Only noticed John Crichton when ran for president. Neimodian I started to notice only after I knew he was going to Ubeda. Yet these are passionate, insightful people that I somehow missed.
    Maybe that was the problem.
    I noticed guys like Indy4 and Koray straight away because they were rather irritating Media Ventures fans who spend their first year on the MB stating Zimmer is as much an artist as John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith (May He Rest In Peace).

Maybe the meek shall inherit the earth after all....

I did too and they were/are still irritating but good folk I'm sure.
    I noticed all the old regulars, certain individs have a style you cannot mistake.
    Some have a style that pulls you in. Several Jwfans could list the phone book with their style and it would be entertaining reading. cheers
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:41 am

Which would tend to suggest what is happening is that as the time goes by the situation is starting to mirror current climate in film scoring, with more watered-down landscape. The old timers are Goldsmiths and Williamses. And the new ones are Jablonsky's, Tyler's and Ottman's.

Brain-Devouring Karol

Last edited by crocodile's skeleton on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 am

Pardon me skruggs but what is your handle on JWFAN?
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 am

Should we do a poll? Who recognizes this style?

Karol

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:45 am

crocodile's skeleton wrote:Which would tend to suggest what is happening is that as the time goes by the situation is starting to mirror current climate in film scoring, with more watered-down landscape. The old timers are Goldsmiths and Williamses. And the new ones are Jablonsky's, Tyler's and Ottman's.

Karol
    Somewhat saddening isn't it.

Still I could probably be a member of BTfan.com.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 am

Ah ha - the shark is the clue... Joey!

**unsure but hopeful**

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 am

Upended Quint wrote:Ah ha - the shark is the clue... Joey!

**unsure but hopeful**

My name is Skruggs.

Joey or JoeinAr always leaves his first letter of the post uncapitalized.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 am

Yes; the age-old punctuation subterfuge trick which makes minds like the Cremers believe they are dealing with a "lesser" - leaving themselves wide open for the eventual sting. It never gets old, that one.

So where is the crusty misery guts anyway? I'm missing him.

Post  Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

Upended Quint wrote:Yes; the age-old punctuation subterfuge trick which makes minds like the Cremers believe they are dealing with a "lesser" - leaving themselves wide open for the eventual sting. It never gets old, that one.

So where is the crusty misery guts anyway? I'm missing him.

prison? affraid

Joe/Skruggs being hopeful sunny
    Shade Cauliflower
    Shade Cauliflower

Post  Shade Cauliflower Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 am

I made a signature about this many months ago.

You all cried about it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:30 pm