JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+8
Sideways Koray
Lucas, prepare to die!
Maurizio's Halo
indy v4.2
Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
crocodile's skeleton
Upended Quint
Stefan's Ghoest
12 posters

Why does Indy 4 has such lousy CGI

Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Why does Indy 4 has such lousy CGI Empty Why does Indy 4 has such lousy CGI

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Particularly during the second half. All the way though the Jungle Chase, and the finding of the temple, I never got the feeling they were out in the actual jungle.

It took me out of the film more then the awkward script.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Why does Indy 4 has such lousy CGI Empty Re: Why does Indy 4 has such lousy CGI

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 pm

It literally looks like they filmed it inside an Indiana Jones theme park attraction. Or a garden centre.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Why does Jaws shark look like rubber? Wink

Karol
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Because it was made in 1975.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 pm

So KOTCS looks like this because it was made in 2008.

Funnily enough, I actually did answer the question.

Karol

Last edited by crocodile's skeleton on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc
    Ghost Pirate LeBlanc

Post  Ghost Pirate LeBlanc Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 pm

ILM stretched themselves too thin, working on too many movies at once, instead of focusing on making the best possible effects for this one particular movie
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 pm

crocodile's skeleton wrote:So KOTCS looks like this because it was made in 2008.

Funnily enough, I actually did answer the question.

Karol
    Sorry, what?
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I mean, it's not like by 2008 we reached a peak of this technology. That's what I meant.

Karol
    indy v4.2

Post  indy v4.2 Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm

To be fair, only part of the movie has bad CGI. Most of the large scale stuff, like the departure scene, look great. The ants too.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 am

Some of the large scale stuff looks good. The ants are a mixed bag. some shots are great, while others look fake.
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

Post  Maurizio's Halo Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 am

Actually it's more interesting to find out why Indy 4 has such a lousy script. Here's an acceptable explanation:

http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2008/05/50-flaws-of-indy-iv.html

(This blog is a goldmine of really interesting stuff, check it out).
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 am

i think that some bag effects are intentional, a nod to the other movie's imperfections.

I think jungle chase has very good CGI. except the vines part. and crotch plants othewise im pretty sure the are many items in the jungle you dont know its cgi.

and it was filmed in hawai's jungle, they just overgrew the dirt road where they filmed.

even if the ants look fake in some shots, its the best cgi insect animal ever seen on screen.
    Sideways Koray
    Sideways Koray
    Admin

Post  Sideways Koray Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:10 am

Lucas, prepare to die! wrote:
    even if the ants look fake in some shots, its the best cgi insect animal ever seen on screen.

Eight Legged Freaks had some awesome effects, but I believe they did a combo of CGI and animatronics.
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:26 am

Lucas, prepare to die! wrote:i think that some bag effects are intentional, a nod to the other movie's imperfections.

I think jungle chase has very good CGI. except the vines part. and crotch plants othewise im pretty sure the are many items in the jungle you dont know its cgi.

and it was filmed in hawai's jungle, they just overgrew the dirt road where they filmed.

Yes, its not really the CGI itself that is poor, its the lighting/coloring of the film that sucks.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 am

The part were they drive along the edge of a cliff looked very cartoonish, especially compared to a similar scene in Raiders. and some of the background work looked fake.

Too much like LOTR, not enough like the real thing.
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:31 am

Faleel's Essence wrote:

Yes, its not really the CGI itself that is poor, its the lighting/coloring of the film that sucks.

Not untill they get too the jungle.
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:54 am

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:
    Faleel's Essence wrote:

Not untill they get too the jungle.

I was talking about the Jungle...
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:53 am

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:

The part were they drive along the edge of a cliff looked very cartoonish, especially compared to a similar scene in Raiders. and some of the background work looked fake.

Too much like LOTR, not enough like the real thing.

i knew thre was good in you too! Razz

nightscape94
    nightscape94

Post  nightscape94 Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 am

I think it's harder to get across the idea of campiness with CGI. The background projection, optical effects, and physical effects in Raiders all worked because it was complimented by the material. When you try to achieve the same effect with CGI, it doesn't work.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am

Yes. People accept bad sfx when the film itself is of high quality. Indy IV is low quality masquerading as cream of the crop.
    Henry Buck in Demon Form
    Henry Buck in Demon Form

Post  Henry Buck in Demon Form Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 am

nightscape94 wrote:I think it's harder to get across the idea of campiness with CGI. The background projection, optical effects, and physical effects in Raiders all worked because it was complimented by the material. When you try to achieve the same effect with CGI, it doesn't work.
    This.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 am

Ironically, Raiders isn't camp at all. In fact it's the movie least likely to sell that theory.
    nightscape94
    nightscape94

Post  nightscape94 Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 am

Perhaps camp isn't the right word, but I'm referring to the exaggerated and over the top style of film making used in Raiders, especially the story and characters. How about "pulp"? There's something about CGI that doesn't service that type of story well.
    crocodile's skeleton
    crocodile's skeleton

Post  crocodile's skeleton Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Upended Quint wrote:Ironically, Raiders isn't camp at all. In fact it's the movie least likely to sell that theory.
    Raiders isn't, but the other 3 certainly are. Contrary to what people say, this is rather unstable franchise quality-wise. KOTCS simply follows suit.

Karol
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Contrary to what you say, I think the only camp one is ToD. Which is a compliment. KotCS isn't camp at all. Campiness requires a degree of quality to shine through. KotCS is merely a bad movie with some good bits.

Last edited by Upended Quint on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:00 pm