JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network - JWFAN (Temporary Forums)

A place to discuss the film music and works of composer John Williams

+9
Lucas, prepare to die!
Stefan's Ghoest
Spirit of King Mark
St. Elmo
Dead Data
Trent B's Ghost
E.T. & Elliott 4ever
Upended Quint
Maurizio's Halo
13 posters

NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release

Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release Empty NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release

Post  Maurizio's Halo Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:02 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51176

ET Blu-Ray: It’s coming. Spielberg said he wanted to poll the audience. He asked us if there was anybody in the crowd that would be disappointed if the 2002 Special Edition was not included on the Blu, if it was only the original 1982 version. He was greeted with a roaring “No!” from the crowd and said, “Well, that settles it then.” So, he strongly implied the ET Blu-Ray will be the original theatrical cut only and not even include the gun-less, penis breath-less CGI’d ET version.

On the ET SE: Spielberg said he let the immense criticism from parent groups after the theatrical release of ET get to him, which is what prompted the guns being taken out and the removal of the penis-breath line. He admitted that was a mistake and that he realized after the fact that changing the movie was “robbing the people of their memories of the movie.” He had a very hard time with that and said he confirmed what he told me in our interview that you won’t see any more digital tinkering in future releases of his films.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release Empty Re: NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release

Post  Upended Quint Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm

FUCKING YES!

I knew my miserly resolve to wait it out would pay off. I never did buy the DVD and it's nice to see my strategy was worth the wait.
    Maurizio's Halo
    Maurizio's Halo

NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release Empty Re: NEWS: E.T. Blu-ray will feature ONLY the 1982 Theatrical Release

Post  Maurizio's Halo Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 pm

A more detailed report:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7323

I appreciate that Spielberg has the guts to admit he did a mistake with the 2002 Special Edition.
    E.T. & Elliott 4ever

Post  E.T. & Elliott 4ever Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 am

Holy shit! He said this? Soon he'll announce that Indy IV sucked.
    Trent B's Ghost
    Trent B's Ghost

Post  Trent B's Ghost Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 am

Glad to know the theatrical cut is coming to Blu-Ray. I for one will buy it. I never bothered with any other versions of the film, especially after learning of the changes. I haven't seen the CGI version of ET, if someone can link it up here I'd appreciate it. I mean at least a clip from the version with the CGI E.T.
    Dead Data

Post  Dead Data Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 am

I'm not surprised, but that doesn't make it any less gratifying. If only his dear friend George were taking the same route instead of hilariously deciding to put even more nails into his own coffin...
    E.T. & Elliott 4ever

Post  E.T. & Elliott 4ever Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 am

I didn't hate the 20th version of E.T. I mean, I got to see the movie in theaters. Awesome.

But yeah...the changes? The added scenes were pointless and didn't fit in. They were deservedly cut. It never seemed like Spielberg had wanted these scenes in, just that he or the studio felt new scenes HAD to be added. The edits sure stunk. The CG was awful on E.T. and it didn't blend with the original E.T. at all. The updates to the flying scenes were generally pointless. The old scenes look fine! Okay, the original over the moon scene doesn't have Elliott wearing the cloak, but it's an iconic money shot of the movie. Change it? Again, it felt forced and like the studios were demanding updates to the special effects or Spielberg felt he needed to CG it for reissuing to modern audiences. WRONG!
    St. Elmo
    St. Elmo

Post  St. Elmo Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 am

"Studios used to look to filmmakers for answers. Now they think they have all the answers."
    -Spielberg, yesterday.
    Spirit of King Mark
    Spirit of King Mark

Post  Spirit of King Mark Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am

Spielberg is starting to make sense again. I can't believe he bowed to "parent councils' groups to make the changes in the first place.

I agree the CG E.T. looked terrible and didn't blend in with the original. And the guns added a credibility to the threat of the government men
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Did he say anything about inserting the triangle hit that is missing from E.T.'s and Elliot's final take-off?
    Lucas, prepare to die!
    Lucas, prepare to die!

Post  Lucas, prepare to die! Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:01 pm

i like ET running in the forest Sad

But well we gain more than we loose.

Still its strange not releasing the new edition...afterall the blu ray has enough space into it. It would be fun to include it as a laserdisc non anamorphic transfer Razz

BTW, i would like all my mistakes make me earn millions of dollars... Very Happy
    indy v4.2

Post  indy v4.2 Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Stefan's Ghoest wrote:Did he say anything about inserting the triangle hit that is missing from E.T.'s and Elliot's final take-off?
    Wait, was there actually a triangle hit that was edited out?
    Stefan's Ghoest
    Stefan's Ghoest

Post  Stefan's Ghoest Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 pm

It's not in the 2002 version of the film!
    Zombie Charlie Brigden
    Zombie Charlie Brigden

Post  Zombie Charlie Brigden Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:50 am

Upended Quint wrote:FUCKING YES!

I knew my miserly resolve to wait it out would pay off. I never did buy the DVD and it's nice to see my strategy was worth the wait.

The 1982 version was on the original DVD.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:06 am

I know.

You don't get it!
    Thor

Post  Thor Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 am

I kinda like the 2002 edition, and don't really have any issues with the changes. I loved the bath tub scene and the E.T. overlooking the city below shot, for example.

However, I think I'm pretty set with my E.T. for now, since I bought the massive gift set box a few years ago, which includes both versions, a book, the 20th anniv. soundtrack and more.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 am

Thor wrote:I kinda like the 2002 edition, and don't really have any issues with the changes. I loved the bath tub scene
    Well you would do, wouldn't you. That's because you've got fucking shit taste.
    St. Elmo
    St. Elmo

Post  St. Elmo Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:20 am

I just found another pretty cool quote from Spielberg at the LA screening of Raiders:

Asked about another Indy film, a single cheer goes up in the audience, leading Spielberg to point and yell, “One person wants to see another Indiana Jones movie! The only person in the audience! [...] You know, I think that was the only bridge we didn’t burn because of Indy 4, thank you.”

Do you think that's a way of admitting KotCS shortcomings?
    Faleel's Essence
    Faleel's Essence

Post  Faleel's Essence Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:41 am

Upended Quint wrote:
    Thor wrote:I kinda like the 2002 edition, and don't really have any issues with the changes. I loved the bath tub scene

He said "I kinda like" not "I prefer"
    Dead Data

Post  Dead Data Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 am

St. Elmo wrote:I just found another pretty cool quote from Spielberg at the LA screening of Raiders:

Asked about another Indy film, a single cheer goes up in the audience, leading Spielberg to point and yell, “One person wants to see another Indiana Jones movie! The only person in the audience! [...] You know, I think that was the only bridge we didn’t burn because of Indy 4, thank you.”

Do you think that's a way of admitting KotCS shortcomings?

I think that's awareness of how the film was received by critics and by the general public. Doesn't say a tremendous amount about his own opinion of the film, although I would guess that he's not especially proud of it. Lucas seems to have been at least partially responsible for many of the issues that cropped up.
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah that's a popular angle and an understandable one, but I reject it. Spielberg was the director, he was ultimately responsible for how the movie turned out. He's a powerful guy - if he wanted to he could have told Lucas no. Spielberg is to blame for Indy IV, not Lucas.
    Thor

Post  Thor Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Upended Quint wrote:

Razz
    Upended Quint
    Upended Quint

Post  Upended Quint Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Very Happy

Glad you didn't take me so seriously.
    St. Elmo
    St. Elmo

Post  St. Elmo Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Upended Quint wrote:Yeah that's a popular angle and an understandable one, but I reject it. Spielberg was the director, he was ultimately responsible for how the movie turned out. He's a powerful guy - if he wanted to he could have told Lucas no. Spielberg is to blame for Indy IV, not Lucas.

Spielberg seemed to have been in it for the ride, not for the movie.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 am